This one-day, hands-on workshop introduces a practical framework for examining the issue of strategic alignment as a two-way process and ensuring that business strategy and goals can be guiding objectives for program planning and execution.
That alignment is critical to implementation and supports success. Participants will explore a step-by-step approach to designing programs using Strategic Program Design Canvas to answer questions that must be answered early and completely to create a strong, strategic foundation.
When Fortune Magazine estimated that 70% of all strategies fail, it also noted that most of them were basically sound, but just could not be executed. Successful strategies link programs to an organization’s broader strategy and contribute to the long-term goals with other benefits along the way.
What you will learn:
- Ensure that your programs have strong links to business strategy.
- Translate strategic goals and objectives into action and planning for implementable products.
- Create defensible, executable product roadmaps for your programs.
- Best practices for clear, step-by-step approaches to strategic program design and management.
This workshop is geared towards product & program managers who are seeking to advance their knowledge and skills in the area of complex program planning and management and will teach you how to go beyond the traditional approach to program management to plan your program in a flexible and adaptive way, as well as focus your activities on achieving business results, and not just meeting time and budget goals.
Topics to be discussed:
- Definition of vision, goals, and objectives.
- Value proposition design.
- Value map development.
- Definition of desired outputs, outcomes, and benefits.
- Development of execution strategy (activities and releases).
- Resource planning.
- Performance measures and risks.
Module 1: Overview
- What is Strategic Program Design?
- The Program Design Canvas.
- Business strategy, programs, and product alignment.
Module 2: Goals, Objectives, Benefits and Outcomes
- Benefits and outcomes definition and analysis.
- Benefits and outcomes alignment to business objectives.
- Benefits and outcomes mapping.
Module 3: Program Deliverables & Scope
- Key deliverables and outputs determination.
- Stakeholder analysis.
- Communications strategy development.
- Scope boundaries.
Module 4: Performance Measures
- Key deliverables and outcomes tracking measures and indicators (KPIs).
- Monitoring of key deliverables.
- Progress reporting.
Module 5: Execution Activity Planning
- High level activities, project roadmaps, and releases.
- Sources of available capabilities.
- Capability gap analysis.
- Resource identification and allocation.
- Resource alignment mapping.
- How the product is going to be delivered?
Module 6: Costs, Risks and Benefits
- Determination of budget and cost management approach.
- Balancing of costs, benefits and risks.
This workshop has very pragmatic focus on learning objectives and takeaways that can be put to work immediately!
It is taught in a collegial, interactive manner that enhances active learning, ensures clear understanding of concepts and methodologies, and provides a forum for exchange of ideas between participants.
All attendees will receive, templates and the Strategic Project Management workbook as well as other supplemental materials used during the workshop.